The University of Antique, formerly the Polytechnic State College of Antique & Antique School of Arts and Trades was established by virtue of R.A. 857 approved on January 19, 1954 the efforts of the late Congressman Tobias A. Fornier.The first Superintendent was Mr. Fermin Taruc, Sr., with a few men as his work force.
He was the Superintendent without school site, building, equipment, and classrooms. Supt. Fermin Taruc and his few man temporarily stayed at Sibalom Elem. School where they borrowed a small office and classroom. A few months later in March 1954 was able to acquire a school site with the help of Sibalom Mayor Santiago A. Lotilla and other municipal officials.
On the site, five-rooms building was constructed through the cooperation of the municipal officials, administration and the people of Sibalom. It was in this five-room building where the classes were held for the school year 1954-1955, until more buildings were constructed to house the growing number of students. The first years of the existence of the ASAT were years of building up its physical aspects from its buildings, driveways, drainage and playgrounds with out taking for granted the instructions that given to the students. Among the courses offered, industrial ceramics which was the main justification for the establishment of the school was given special attention. Later on the school won awards and was acclaimed as one of the best schools of ceramics in the Philippines.
The school gradually grew into a flourish school of Arts and Trades through the years through effective leadership of its various school superintendents. It was in the year, 1970 when Dr. Godofredo E. Gallega came to the ASAT as its Superintendent of the school Arturo Pacificador authored Parliamentary Bill No. 912 which became Batas Pambansa on September 7, 1981 and approved by the President Ferdinand E. Marcos on November 14, 1982. This Batas Pambansa Bilang 281 converted the ASAT to PSCA, now a fast growing college. Being the center of education in Antique, PSCA plays an indispensable role in the development of the AntiqueÃ±os who face the challenges of the fast changing world.