UA joins Centennial Celebration of Andres Bonifacio Bust
In the celebration of Andres Bonifacio Day, University of Antique, through the members of the Executive Committee together with Bachelor of Secondary Education Major in Social Science (BSED SocSci) students, joined in the Centennial Celebration of the Andres Bonifacio Bust, November 30.
Engr. Jonathan G. De Gracia, Local Historian, recounted that the bust was donated by Mr. Angel Salazar as the Municipality of Sibalom’s award for winning the Provincial Clean-up in 1923. The municipality was led by then Mayor Sabas Tordesillas who served from 1922 to 1928. In 1952, the bust was transferred to its current location at the Plazoleta Magbanua or Little Plaza Magbanua – a small plaza donated by Mrs. Eugenia L. Magbanua in honor of her husband, Mr. Fernando Magbanua, who served as Vice Mayor of the Municipality from 1912 to 1916. This bust from 100 years ago is the only one that still exists from the 1922 busts that were made accessible, making it possibly the oldest in the whole country.
The activity which includes the ceremonial turning-over of Andres Bonifacio Bust monument was also witnessed by the heads and representatives from the different units of the Local Government of Sibalom. The UA chorale sang the Philippine National Anthem while the UA Teatro performed a re-enactment of the Spaniard’s colonization and the revolution that led to Bonifacio’s death./IU